Breaking News: EBOLA hits Africa again - Over 100 children reported dead in Congo - NewzEmpire

NewzEmpire

Latest Gist, News on Entertainment, Celebs Gossip, Sports and Mp3 Downloads

Breaking

Monday, February 11, 2019

Breaking News: EBOLA hits Africa again - Over 100 children reported dead in Congo


Over 100 children have died since the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo started last year -- and the crisis is gathering pace, with the number of new cases doubling last month, according to charity Save the Children.

A total of 97 children have died from the viral illness since the outbreak began in August, 65 of whom were younger than 5 years old, the group said.
And the number of new cases spiked in January, from around 20 a week to more than 40, according to the charity. In the last three weeks of January alone, there were 120 new cases overall.
Ebola -- which causes fever, severe headache and in some cases hemorrhaging -- kills about half of those infected on average, though the latest outbreak has a fatality rate of around 60%.


The current outbreak in Congo is the second-deadliest and second-largest in history, topped only by one in West Africa in 2014, when the disease killed more than 11,000 people, according to the World Health Organization.
In total, Congo has seen 806 cases, since August, the country's Ministry of Health said on Saturday. Of those cases, 745 are confirmed and 61 are probable. There have been 505 cases resulting in death.

Efforts to contain the outbreak have been stifled by the insecurity and violence in the east of the country.
The UN public health agency estimates that more than a million refugees and internally displaced people are traveling through and out of North Kivu and Ituri provinces, and this movement is a potential risk factor for the spread of Ebola.

Source: CNN


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Drop your Comments!

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages